Beets are rich in antioxidants, especially betalain, which provides the beautiful red colour and offers detoxification support. They are also high in folate, which is important in creating healthy red blood cells. This terrine is a real show stopper and makes great (healthy) party food!
Beet Goat Cheese Terrine
- 3 pounds beets, about 12 medium
- 1 lb chevre
- 1/3 c olive oil + more for cooking
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- Set oven to 375F.
- Peel and slice beets. Toss with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Wrap in parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes until soft. Allow to cool fully.
- Mix chevre with 1/3 c olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 9X13 pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment, layer beets, scattered basil and chevre mixture. Allow beets to overlap on each other slightly while layering, and press them down well in the pan as you go. You should be able to do two layers of cheese in between 3 layers of beets. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill in fridge 2 hours or overnight.
- To serve, slice in half lengthwise and then again about 18 times across. Garnish with the walnuts and basil leaves.
Source: Natural Chef Lisa Virtue, virtuegourmet.com