These grain-free blondies are sweet and moist, with fibre, protein and healthy saturated fat from coconut oil (that might sound like an oxymoron, but saturated fat helps to maintain healthy cell membranes, as well assist hormone production and calcium absorption. Hurray!!)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Make your own paleo baking powder by combining one part baking soda and two parts cream of tartar.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Sift together first four dry ingredients.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl. Using a whisk, mix in the eggs and then drizzle in the oil. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture and whisk until combined. Allow to stand a minute while preparing the pan.
- Line a 9X9″ or 8X8″ pan with parchment. Scrape the batter into your pan with a spatula.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with coconut, then rotate and return to oven for another 15-20 minutes until golden and set in the centre.
Nutrition per serving: 193 cal, 12 gr fat, 27 gr carb, 5 gr protein, 3 gr fibre, 20 gr sugar
Source: deliciousmeetshealthy.com, adapted by Natural Chef Lisa Virtue